Friday 10 March 2017

The sequoia project

I went to visit the Muir woods, the Giant Redwood woods near San Francisco.





While I was going there I was chatting to my sister who jokingly challenged me to bring back one tree. I answered that the trunk of one of those would occupy my entire back garden. I then thought about bonsai trees and that I could grow a bonsai if I could find any seed. Of course I couldn't find any seed under trees because it was spotless under wood with no cones and tourists have to walk on paths anyway, also I didn't know at the time but, as giant as the trees are, the seeds are instead really small. Luckily the shop in the park sells redwood growing kits, so i could fulfill my promise to bring back if not a tree at least the seeds.

I finally planted the seeds a couple of months ago. They suggest to leave the seeds in the fridge for few weeks, which I did and, while they guarantuee the germination of at least one seed, it's really lucky to get more because the redwood germination rate is quite low. I was really lucky and I got four seedlings.

First born



Four seedlings

I'm really happy. I was already thrilled when I had one, but now if they survive my clumsiness I can give it a go to make a little bonsai wood or at any rate I have more chances to grow properly at least one. ☺️

Timeline:

* 27 January planted seeds
* 16 February Taken out of the fridge
* 3-17 March germination
* 27 March transplanted 3 in pots

No comments:

Post a Comment